Saltburn by the Sea town map and visitors guide
Click on the markers to discover some of the main attractions of Saltburn by the Sea.
Saltburn Smugglers Heritage Centre, Old Saltburn, Next to The Ship Inn, Saltburn, TS12 1HF. Set in converted fisherman's cottages, the centre depicts the history of 18th Century local smuggling. An interactive exhibition which skillfully blends costumed characters with authentic sounds and smells. Relive the days of smuggling and follow the story of John Andrew, 'King of the Smugglers' N.B. The Centre suffered from storm damage and was closed. At the present time the local authority has no plans to re-open it.
Saltburn Cliff Lift, Lower Promenade, Saltburn, TS12 1HQ Opened in June 1884, the oldest water balanced cliff lift still in operation in Britain goes up 120 ft on a track of 207 ft. Now refurbished with stained glass windows, it links Saltburn pier and the lower promenade with the upper promenade and the town. Open: Easter-Oct, times vary. Tel: 01287 622528
Saltburn Pier, Lower Promenade, Saltburn, - the most Northerly surviving British iron pier. Built in an exposed position and facing due north into the unforgiving North Sea, the pier recently underwent a major restoration programme to return it to its former glory. Work included stabilising the foundations, replacing the decaying steel beams with hardwood, and re-laying over 5 miles of decking. It was officially re-opened to the public on 13th July 2001.
Saltburn Valley Gardens and Woodland Centre, Valley Gardens, Saltburn-by-the-Sea, TS12 1GG, The Cleveland Way passes through the ancient Riftswood, and the formal Valley Gardens. The Woodland Centre is a good place for information on local walks and has recently become the home of the Friends of the Valley Gardens. The Gardens also offer tea rooms, a miniature railway (see below), Italian Gardens flower beds, and the ruins of an old corn mill. The Woodlands Centre can be contacted on Tel: 01287 622408
Saltburn Miniature Railway, is a 15" gauge miniature railway running from the sea front through the Valley Gardens to the Italian Gardens, Tea Lawn and Woodland Centre. The railway was first established in 1947, whilst the locomotive 'Prince Charles' was later introduced in 1953. It was re-opened to the public in April 2003 following an extensive relocation project lasting two and a half years, which has brought a partial new route and a new station to the railway. Operated by volunteers. Open: Easter - Sep plus Bank Holidays, Sat & Sun 13:00-17:00 also open school holidays Tue-Sun, 13:00-17:00 Tel: 01287 502863